Last updated 02/06/2023
This Privacy Notice (“Notice”) describes how your personal information will be collected and used as a consumer of products and services provided by abrdn plc and its affiliates. This notice applies to residents of California only and is provided provided in compliance with the California Consumer Privacy Act 2018 (the “CCPA”) and the California Privacy Rights Act 2020 (the "CRPA"). Certain exceptions apply under the CCPA, including, but not limited to, personal information processed by financial services firms under the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.
We may need to make changes to this Notice to reflect new legislation, industry practice or company policy changes. We encourage you to review this Notice periodically to be informed of any changes.
Personal information we collect and use
We collect types of information that identify, relate to, describe, reference, are capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer, device, or household (“personal information”). This includes collecting the following categories of personal information in the last 12 months:
- Identifiers, such as name, address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, IP address, internet user identifiers, social security numbers and account numbers
- Characteristics of classifications, such as your age, gender, marital status, nationality, or citizenship
- Internet or other similar network activity, such as information on your interaction with our website including cookie identifiers
- Professional or employment-related information, such as current or past job history
Where we collect your personal information
We collect personal information directly from individuals, their representatives or the organisations they represent. This personal information may be provided through:
- An application form for a product, service, or employment opportunity
- Phone conversations with us
- Emails or letters you send to us
- Meetings with one of our business development or relationship managers
- Registering for one of our events
- Participating in research surveys to help us understand you better and improve our products and services
- Entering competitions e.g. to win tickets to a sporting event which we sponsor
- Our online services such as websites (including via cookies), social media and mobile device applications
Why we collect your personal information
We take your privacy seriously and we will only ever collect and use information which is personal to you where it is fair and lawful to do so. We will collect and use your information for the following purposes:
- to provide the product or service you have requested e.g. records of client meetings and reports
- to meet our legal or regulatory obligations e.g. anti-money laundering, tax reporting, and the detection and prevention of fraud
- to issue communications and conduct analysis for marketing purposes, promotional materials, and events
- to screen information for an employment opportunity
- to maintain and improve our website
- to hold competitions and events
Who we share your information with and why
We do not sell personal information and have not sold personal information in the last 12 months. We also do not share your personal information for cross-context behavioural advertising.
The personal information we collect may be shared with third parties for the purposes listed above. In the last 12 months this has included:
- affiliates of abrdn plc who support us in the provision of products and services
- companies we have chosen to support us in the delivery of the products and services we offer to you and other customers, e.g. research, consultancy or technology companies
- companies who can help us in our contact with you, for example an internet service provider
- law enforcement and regulators, such as the Securities and Exchange Commission
How long we keep your information
To provide you with the service or product agreed, and to fulfil our legal and regulatory obligations, we will keep your personal information and copies of records we create (e.g. calls with us) while you are a [prospective] client or customer of ours.
Even when you no longer have a relationship with us, we are required to keep information for different legal and regulatory reasons. The length of time will vary and we regularly review our retention periods to make sure they comply with all laws and regulations.
The CCPA and CPRA provide residents of California with a number of rights in relation to personal information. These are:
- The right to be informed about the personal information we collect and disclose. Details of this are explained in this privacy notice
- The right to access the personal information we collect and use, including specific pieces of personal information we have collected in relation to you
- The right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information (We do not sell personal information)
- The right to deletion of your personal information
- The right to request rectification of inaccurate personal information
- The right to limit use and disclosure of sensitive personal information
- The right to non-discrimination for exercising any of these rights
These rights only apply to personal information governed by the CCPA and the CPRA.
How to exercise your rights
To make a request under the rights listed above, you may contact us by either:
- Email to DPOffice@abrdn.com
- Telephone to 1-800-522-5465
- Completing the web-form below
The exercise of your rights may be subject to your identity being verified, e.g. by matching the information provided by you with the information included in our records.
Requests may also be submitted on your behalf via an Authorized Agent by providing us with sufficient written proof that you have designated them as your Authorized Agent. We will still require you to provide necessary information to allow us to reasonably verify that you are the person about whom we collected personal information.
Upon receipt of a verifiable request, we will comply within the period stipulated in the CCPA and CPRA. In the case of your right to access and delete the personal information we collect and use, this will be 45 days from the date of your request. In complex cases, this time may be extended to 90 days from the date of your request. Where your request cannot be satisfied (for example, where other legal obligations apply) we will inform you of this.
Requests to exercise your CCPA and CPRA rights may be submitted via the form below: