abrdn Asia Limited
Singapore data protection notice
|“We”, “Our” and “Us”||
abrdn Asia Limited
clients, business partners and all parties who have dealings with us
|“Personal Information”||same meaning as "personal data" prescribed in the Singapore Personal Data Protection Act ("PDPA") which means data, whether true or not, about an individual (whether living or recently deceased) who can be identified from that data; or that data and other information to which the organization has, or is likely to have access. The Act's application to recently deceased individuals is limited to disclosure and protection of personal data where such data is about an individual who has been deceased for ten years or fewer.|
abrdn Asia Limited is committed to protecting any personal information shared with us. We take privacy seriously and we will only ever collect and use personal information where it is necessary and lawful to do so.
This Privacy Notice applies to abrdn Asia Limited and contains important information about what personal information we collect; what we do with that information; who we may share it with and why; and your choices and rights when it comes to the personal information you have given us.
We may need to make changes to our Privacy Notice; so please check our website for updates from time to time. If there are important changes to how we handle your personal information; we may contact you to let you know.
abrdn Asia Limited is a subsidiary of abrdn plc; a global business providing a range of savings and investments products and solutions to meet customer and client needs.
Personal information we collect and use
We may collect and use personal information including:
- Information about who you are for identification and security purposes e.g. your Full Name, Date of Birth, Gender, Marital Status, Country of birth, National Identification Card Number, Nationality, Passport Number, Expiry Date and Place of Issuance, Occupation and employment details including job title, salary and employer’s address;
- Information to allow us to contact you e.g. Address (current address in Singapore and Registered home address if different), Telephone (mobile) number, Email address;
- Information connected with your product or service with us e.g. bank account;
- Information about your contact with us e.g. phone calls, emails / letters;
- Information that is automatically connected e.g. via cookies when you visit one of our websites;
- Information on persons connected to you, where required to provide the agreed product or service e.g. name, date of birth, nationality, National ID number or Passport Number of your spouse or beneficial owner.
If you have a distributor / broker / agent, the information we collect and use will most likely have been provided by them on your behalf.
Why we collect and use your personal information
We take your privacy seriously and we will only ever collect and use your information where it is necessary and lawful to do so. We will collect and use your information only where we can satisfy one of the lawful processing conditions set out in the data protection laws. These include:
- Where it’s necessary to provide the product or service you have requested e.g. if you wish to invest in one of our funds or products we will require some personal information which may include your name, address, date of birth, and bank account details;
- Where it’s necessary for us to meet our legal or regulatory obligations e.g. to send you Annual Statements, tell you about changes to Terms and Conditions or for the detection and prevention of fraud;
- For our legitimate interests where such interest does not override yours as the data subject e.g. to develop new products and services for our customers; and
- For the performance of a task we require to carry out in the public interest.
You have given us your consent to use your personal information You are deemed to have provided your consent if you voluntarily provide your personal data to us for an agreed purpose and it’s reasonable to require you to provide such data. Deemed consent also applies when your personal data is disclosed by us to another party in order to fulfil our contractual obligations, or when we have notified you about the collection, use and disclosure of your data and you did not take any action to withdraw your consent.
For example, if we are collecting and using your sensitive personal information or for certain types of marketing and research, and/or call handling. You may withdraw consent at any time by giving reasonable notice via the contact details included under “How to contact us”.
Subject to the above, we may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- Account opening including information verification and credit checks
- Order Handling
- Unit Allocation
- Regulatory and Compliance Reporting
- Service Request (Amendment, Online trading, Withdraw, Redemption, Closure and Tax Certificate)
- Dividends confirmation
- Marketing and Research including analysis and promotion
- Call Handling (Incoming and outgoing)
You will be required to provide the personal information as required to be processed by or on behalf of us, as described above. If you do not agree to provide such personal information to us in accordance with this Notice, we may not be able to provide you with the product(s) or service(s) requested or comply with any of our contractual obligations owing to Customers.
Proper Management and Protection of Personal Information
We take personal information and security very seriously and we strive to comply with our obligations at all times. Any personal information which is collected and used by us in any way will have appropriate measures in place to properly manage and protect your personal information. We have implemented the following measures:
- Established an organizational culture to promote and ensure protection of all personal information held by us;
- Appointed personal information controllers to oversee the proper handling of your personal information;
- established internal company rules based on Personal Information Protection Laws and guidelines issued by the relevant authority to ensure proper handling of personal information;
- educated our employees to ensure that they understand the importance of personal information protection and are thoroughly familiar with all relevant rules and guidelines
- established a personal information management register and enforcement of appropriate restrictions on access to personal information;
- implemented appropriate and reasonable security measures [including a secure storage method with restricted access controls] to prevent unauthorized access to, or leakage, destruction or alteration of, personal information. Our security controls are aligned to industry standards and good practice; providing an appropriate control environment that manages risks to the confidentiality, integrity and availability of your personal information.
Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
We may share your personal information with third parties we work with for the purposes outlined in ‘Why we collect and use your information’.
We will only disclose your Personal Information to such third parties where it is lawful to do so and in line with our obligations under data protection laws.
We will share your information with:
- Other parts [subsidiaries, holding companies, related corporations or associates of ours whether present or future] of abrdn plc who support us in the provision of the product or service you have
- Companies and partners we have carefully chosen to support us, both inside and outside of Singapore
- Credit reference agencies for the purposes of conducting a credit check and ID verification
- Your distributor / broker / agent where this is required as part of the product or service you have agreed with us
- Our regulators in and outside of Singapore including the Singapore Exchange (SGX), the Financial Conduct Authority and the Information Commissioner's Office (the ICO) in the UK and Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS)
- Appointed agencies [government agencies, public agencies, agencies] responsible for supervising the provision of services
- Law enforcement agencies e.g. for the prevention and detection of crime, pursuit of legal proceedings
- Other third parties where required to support an organization restructure, amalgamation, merger or sale
By disclosing your personal information to such third parties we shall ensure that those persons shall treat your Personal Information confidential and shall not use such information for any purposes other than within the scope specified by us.
Your rights under law
You have a number of rights under data protection laws which may be exercised in certain circumstances. These are:
- Right to be Informed
- Right to Withdraw Consent
- Right of Access and Correct
You shall be informed of the purposes for collection, use or disclosure of your personal data, on or before collecting your personal data. We do this by way of our Privacy Notice on our website and included within various other product and service related documents, as appropriate.
You have the right, at any time, to withdraw any consent given, or deemed to have given under the Personal Data Protection Act, in respect of the collection, use or disclosure of your personal data. We will then process your request within a reasonable time.
You may request access to your personal data, or for information about how the data was used or disclosed by us. However, we may withhold information where permitted under data protection laws such as where providing access to the personal data or other information could
- threaten your safety, physical or mental health or that of another individual;
- reveal personal data about another individual;
- reveal the identity of another individual who has not consented to the disclosure of his or/ identity; or
- be contrary to national interest.
You may request to correct or rectify any error or omission related to your personal data with reasonable notice.
Individual have the right to request to transfer their personal information to their designated processors of personal information if their requests fulfil the conditions stipulated by the state cyberspace authorities. We will then process your request within a reasonable time.
You may notify us if you wish to opt-out of a proposed transfer of your personal information to a third party. We will process your request in a reasonable timeframe.
Upon request, individuals have the right to restrict and refuse the processing of their personal information by other, except when laws or regulations stipulate otherwise.
Upon request of erasure of individual’s personal information, we will process your request within a reasonable time.
If you wish to exercise any of your rights under law, please notify us using our contact details below.
How to contact us
If you have any questions about our Privacy Notice or the information we collect or use about you, please contact:
FAO Data Protection Officer
abrdn Asia Limited 21 Church Street,
#01-01 Capital Square Two, Singapore 049480
How to make a complaint
We will always strive to collect, use and safeguard your personal information in line with data protection laws. If you do not believe we have handled your information as set out in this Privacy Notice, please let us know immediately and we will do our utmost to make things right.
While we hope that we can resolve any complaints for you, you do have the option complain to your local data protection authority e.g. Personal Data Protection Commission in Singapore. This is available to you whether or not you have exhausted our complaints procedure.
You can contact the Personal Data Protection Commission at the following address:Personal Data Protection Commission
10 Pasir Panjang Road #03-01 Mapletree Business City
Singapore 117438 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: +65 6377 3131 Website: www.pdpc.gov.sg