Aberdeen Standard Investments (ASI) has invested £50m on behalf of its strategic partner Phoenix Group (Phoenix) in Black Sea Trade and Development Bank (“the Bank”) supporting the implementation of its climate change strategy.
Specifically, proceeds will be used for projects financed directly, or through financial intermediaries, that will target the following areas:
- Lower carbon and efficient energy generation;
- Renewable energy;
- Energy efficiency in industries and buildings both brownfield and greenfield;
- Sustainable agricultural practices;
- Waste and wastewater treatment that reduce GHG; and
- Green transport systems.
The Bank supports economic development and regional co-operation in the Black Sea region through trade and project finance lending, guarantees, and equity participation in private enterprises and public entities. It’s climate change strategy defines a more purposeful role for the Bank in supporting its shareholders in both mitigating and coping with the impacts of climate change mainly by shifting the financing priorities to more climate positive operations and increasing climate co-benefit potential in its operations.
Cedric Rozier, Investment Director - Private Debt at Aberdeen Standard Investments, said: “We are delighted to be able to help the Bank advance its climate change strategy. Environmental, social and governance (ESG) considerations have been an integral part of our investment process for almost 30 years. These investments demonstrate our continuing commitment to ESG considerations, whilst aiming to provide uncorrelated cash flows for our clients with yields not available in public bonds of similar credit quality.”
Gillian Day, Head of Private Placements at Phoenix Group, commented: “The Black Sea Trade and Development Bank is financing critical work with environmental and climate benefits across the region and we are pleased to have invested £50 million which will be used to accelerate this. Sustainability is embedded within the core of our decision-making and we will continue to seek investment opportunities that tackle this issue.”
+44 (0) 758 400 7985
Notes to editors
- Aberdeen Standard Investments is a global asset manager dedicated to creating long-term value for our clients. With over 1,000 investment professionals, we manage £456.9 billion* of assets worldwide and have clients in c.80 countries. (*as of 31 December 2020)
- We are high-conviction, long-term investors who believe teamwork and collaboration are the key to delivering repeatable, superior investment performance.
- You can access the Aberdeen Standard Investments media centre here: https://www.aberdeenstandard.com/news-and-media
- In April 2021, we announced our intention to rebrand to Abrdn. The new name will be used for our publicly listed company and all client and customer facing businesses. The rebranding roll-out process for the new name and associated visual identity will begin in the summer and progress through 2021, alongside implementation of a full stakeholder engagement plan to manage the transition.
For Professional Investors only
The value of investments, and the income from them, can go down as well as up and you may get back less than the amount invested. Past performance is not a guide to future results. Tax treatment depends on the individual circumstances of each investor and may be subject to change in the future. We recommend that you seek financial advice prior to making an investment decision.
The details contained here are for information purposes only and should not be considered as an offer, investment recommendation, or solicitation to deal in any investments or funds and does not constitute investment research, investment recommendation or investment advice in any jurisdiction. Any research or analysis used to derive, or in relation to, the above information has been procured by us for our own use, without taking into account the investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any specific investor, and may have been acted on for own purpose. No warranty is given as to the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this communication and no liability for errors or omissions in such information. Readers must make assessments to the relevance, accuracy and adequacies of the information contained in this communication and make independent investigations, as they may consider necessary or appropriate for the purpose of such assessments. Any opinion or estimate contained in this communication, are made on a general basis. No information contained herein constitutes investment, tax, legal or any other advice, or an invitation to apply for securities in any jurisdiction where such an offer or invitation is unlawful, or in which the person making such an offer is not qualified to do so.
Issued in the United Kingdom (UK) by Aberdeen Asset Managers Limited, registered in Scotland (SC108419) at 10 Queen’s Terrace, Aberdeen, AB10 1XL, and Standard Life Investments Limited registered in Scotland (SC123321) at 1 George Street, Edinburgh EH2 2LL. Both companies are authorised and regulated in the UK by the Financial Conduct Authority.