Emerging market debt October 2023 review and outlook
Our summary of developments in emerging market debt in October 2023 and the outlook going forward.
Low correlation with many markets and low volatility of Indian rupee (5%) vs emerging market currency basket (15%) (1)
Outperformed in the last 10 years across many asset classes, beating Asian equities (54%) and emerging market bonds (-1%) (2)
Less than 2% owned by foreign investors and zero allocation in global and emerging market (EM) indices is beneficial for early movers into Asia ex-Japan’s 2nd largest sovereign market (3)
Receive monthly income(4) from a fund with a running yield of 7.2%p.a.(5) Source: abrdn, 31 July 2023. Running yield is not representative of payout yield.
Invests in government, state, quasi and corporate debt; can hold bonds denominated in rupees and USD resulting low volatility of 5.5% (6)
Bypasses complex Indian market rules for international investors
(1) Source: Bloomberg, emerging market ex-Asia currency basket, 1-year implied volatility, 31 August 2023.
(2) Source: Morningstar, USD, Indian bonds represented by Markit iBoxx India, Asian Equities represented by MSCI AC Asia Ex Japan, Emerging Market Bonds represented by JPM GBI-EM Global Diversified, 10 years to 1 September 2023. Past performance does not predict future returns.
(3) Source: Bloomberg, 28 August 2023. Bloomberg data shown for illustrative purposes only. No assumptions regarding future performance should be made.
(4) Aims at monthly distribution. Dividends are not guaranteed and may be paid out of investment income, capital gains or capital at the discretion of the Board of Directors. Any dividends paid and distributed out of the Fund’s capital will result in an immediate reduction of the Fund’s Net Asset Value per share. Past dividends are not a guide to future dividends. Please refer to our literature webpage for additional disclosures on the income statistics of the Fund.
(5) Source: abrdn, 31 July 2023. Running yield is the annual income on an investment divided by its current market value. Running yield is a calculation that divides the income from coupons by the market price of the security. The running yield of the fund is not representative of the payout yield. Past performance does not predict future results.
(6) Source: Morningstar, 3-year standard deviation, A MInc USD share class, 30 September 2023.
Note: The Board of Directors of abrdn SICAV I have the discretion to determine the frequency of dividend payments and dividend rate. Dividend payments and dividend rate are not guaranteed. Dividends may be paid out of investment income, capital gains or capital at the discretion of the Board of Directors. Past dividends are not a guide to future dividends and do not represent the returns of the fund. Any dividend paid and distributed out of the fund will result in an immediate reduction of the fund’s Net Asset Value (NAV) per share. Dividend payments are made in the currency in which the relevant share class is denominated.
Important information: The fund is a sub-fund of abrdn SICAV I, a Luxembourg-registered open-ended investment company with variable capital (organized as a société d’investissement à capital variable or SICAV) with UCITS status. abrdn SICAV I, being the responsible person of the fund, has appointed abrdn Asia Limited (‘abrdn Asia’) as its Singapore representative.
The information in this document should not be considered as an offer, or solicitation, to deal in any funds. The information is provided on a general basis for information purposes only, and is not to be relied on as investment, legal, tax or other advice as it does not take into account the investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any specific investor.
Investments in the fund are subject to investment risks, including the possible loss of the principal amount invested. Share values and income therefrom may fall or rise. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future performance.
You should read the Singapore prospectus and the product highlights sheet before deciding whether to invest in shares of the fund. The Singapore prospectus is available and can be obtained from abrdn Asia or its website at www.abrdn.com/singapore/investor or any of its appointed distributors in Singapore. Advice should be sought from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the fund before purchasing shares in the fund. In the event that you choose not to seek advice from a financial adviser, you should consider whether the fund is suitable for you.
The fund may use or invest in financial derivatives instruments. Please refer to the Singapore prospectus for more information. Dividend distributions are not guaranteed and may be subject to fluctuations. You should note that the fund may have a higher volatility due to their investment policies or portfolio management techniques.
abrdn SICAV I reserves the right to make any amendments to the information at any time, without notice.
This advertisement has not been reviewed by the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
abrdn Asia Limited, Registration Number 199105448E